Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Birthday Calendar

A few years ago, Jon and I made this for my mother-in-law.
It is a GREAT present for Oma's and Grandma's.
It will help you keep track of the many birthdays in the family!
We bought the main block, wood letters, wood rectangles, stars, and ribbon at Micheal's in Provo.
Here is how we made it.
~We took yellow paint and watered it down slightly so you
could still see the wood grain through the paint.
~We spray painted the block letters with 3 or 4 coats of silver
and two coats of clear glossy spray paint.
~We spray painted the little blocks with 2 coats of silver and
I wrote the abbreviated months with a black Sharpie.
~We used a hot glue gun to attach the ribbon to the back.
As for the length of the ribbon, it will depend on how many
birthdays you have and how many family members are still having kids.
~Add a picture hanger to the top.
~We wrote the date and names on the stars with a silver paint pen.
~Then attached them to the ribbon with velcro circles in numerical order.
That way, if a new baby is born or someone gets married, you can easily move the stars around.
~Here is a close up look at the stars.
 It took us around 8 hours to finish the entire thing.
But now my mother-in-law will always know who's birthday is just around the corner!

1 comment:

  1. If my mom was a craftsy mom I think she'd love this. I know Erik's mom would. I think I am going to make this!

    ReplyDelete